View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

YES, I have no doubt that there is a connection between MG and allergies. I've been allergic since I was a toddler -- my mom had to remove all of my stuffed animal, curtains, and bedspread from my room............had to wash the blanket and sheets in hot water once a week (no air conditioning back then). I am allergic to EVERYTHING -- animals, grass, trees, flowers, foods, chemicals, perfumes.....the list just goes on and on. It used to take WEEKS for me to get tested -- and then re-tested for my shots. I took shots for YEARS -- and they DID help. But, only to a point. And, the shots don't do much good for food allergies (at least they didn't for me). BUT, antihistamines help TREMENDOUSLY!! I've gone into anaphylactic shock several times due to wasp stings (I carry epinephrine in my purse) -- but, once Claritin became available, I found that it "knocked" my reaction back enough that a sting wasn't life-threatening.

I take Claritin or Zyrtec EVERYDAY of my life -- without it, I wouldn't be able to eat (and my nose would run, eyes would water). Before that, I relied on Alka-seltza Gold (sp?) -- something my allergist told me about. It changes the ph of your system and stops an allergic food reaction (or so they theorize). Anyway, it always worked for me. But, the antihistamines are BETTER.

I prefer the Claritin -- Zyrtec dulls my mind. But, in the spring and fall, Claritin ALONE isn't quite enough -- I have to supplement it with either a half or whole Chlor-tab.

My MG is MUCH worse when my allergies "break" through. When I got stung by the yellow-jackets, I thought I was going to go into an MG crisis. When my asthma is in full swing (my asthma is allergy related), my MG kicks up its heels, too.

I have done the rotation diet AND the caveman diet. At one time, there were a few foods that I was NOT allergic to -- I ate ONLY them for a couple of weeks -- and developed allergies TO them -- LOL!! Oh, well!!

Now, I just eat in moderation. I gasped when you said FOUR SCOOPS of ice cream!!! I do NOT eat like a bird -- but, if I ate THAT much of anything -- I would be as sick as a dog!! I try to eat a variety -- fortunately, wheat doesn't bother me any more than anything else -- no celiac, here. The only thing that I TOTALLY avoid is Chocolate (yes, THANK you for your sympathy ) -- it gives me migraines -- I haven't had even a bite of chocolate in more than 15 years. *sigh*

My allergist was praising CoQ10 25 years ago -- and my mom's PCP is INSISTING that she take it NOW! There has gotta be SOMETHING there.

I'm taking D3 right now -- have been since late September, when I could no longer get enough sun to make my own vitamin D. I just feel better this winter -- I still have MG -- and my speech is PATHETIC -- but, I'm just not miserable like I was last winter.
DesertFlower (02-02-2011)