View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart How to get started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy N View Post
how do i apply for a PSD? i am disabled with agoraphobia/severe panic disorder, PTSD and am housebound i cannot go out in public and need assistance...where do i go or how do i go about getting my dog/partner...please if you could respond i would be forever grateful...sincerly Amy thank you
Hi Amy ..
There is no formal application and I will be writing more about that in a new thread by this weekend. If you rent and since are legally disabled (per SS/SSI criteria) because you cannot work, then your psychiatrist is your first stop, making sure he knows your full set of symptoms and how they specifically impact your ability to function, and pointing out how you feel a dog, in both trained and untrained way, will be able to help you function more independently and have greater access to the use and enjoyment of what a slightly wider slice of the world.

He can write you a letter.. a kinda prescription. This letter will give you a way around any pet-restrictive provisions in a lease and it will free you from any pet deposits. When you eventually leave, you will be responsible for pet-caused damage, but your basic rental deposit will hopefully cover all of it.

I will deal with other aspects of "how it works" in another thread by this coming weekend, but I will now talk to you about "finding a dog" - the right dog.

Start here - http://www.iaadp.org/criteria.html

First of all, realize you are going to be getting a dog of at least 2 years of age (finally fully mature, past the puppy stage, ready to be an adult). Most dogs have to retire from being a service dog by the time they are 10... BUT the smaller the breed, the longer they live. A small poodle or small poodle/small dog cross can give you a dog with an active life span of at least 15 years... That may be something you want to think about.

Think about what you want the dog to do for you, with you. How active/inactive are you? Do you want a cuddler and shadow, someone to curl up on your lap or lay his head on your legs? Or would a more independent dog be easier on your personality? Are you active or mostly a homebody - will you need a short-legged pooch who doesn't need an hours walk or a actual jog or outright run?

Pick a size first - read up on breeds. And time involved for care. While all animals shed hair either continually (most short flat smooth coats) and have the type of hair that spears in, embedding itself in upholstery... or heavily for 3 weeks in March-April when you need to brush (if you can) twice a day (at least once) for those 3 weeks. For the rest of the year, a weekly brushing or so can keep tangles from forming.

Visit dog shelters and take various dogs out on a leash for some time on their grassy area. SOME dogs are purebreds, even registered. And the shelter tries to figure out what breeds have gone into a cross-bred (crosses are healthier with fewer genetic problems). SOME are surrendered by loving owners who give information on whether the animal is house-broken and information on their personality, likes and dislikes.

Eventually, should you find a possible, you can ask the shelter to give the dog a battery of tests to assess for emotional stability, dog aggression and traits necessary to determine how well and quickly he/she can be trained.

Any dog adopted from a shelter or rescue organization will come tested for various serious illnesses, spayed/neutered, wormed, full shots and a "certificate" of good health. Plus, you can always return the dog in the first weeks if it just doesn't work out.

There are other ways to get a dog. I posted on Craigslist and had mine within 2 days just by telling a bit about me and about what kind of dog I was looking for... A lady who could no longer keep her Pekingese went on Craigslist for the first time to place an ad, saw me, called me, we found out we lived about 15 minutes apart. I wasn't looking for a purebred, just an adult small housebroken dog who would be happy living in a quiet home with a homebody, who had great couch-potato potential.

You can go online to PetFinder.org and go looking for shelters and the ads from people trying to find new homes for the dogs they can no longer keep. For shelters and such, you put in the size, sex, breed sort you are looking for, your zip code and how far you are willing to travel, and you will get a list of possibles. They give you information on whether the dog is safe around children, cats or even people in general. They disclose any health problems, behavioral short-comings, size, weight and includes a photo and phone number.

If you have the money, you can contact those who have show dogs (go to a big breed dog show and have the time of your life) and ask the handler if they might suggest an owner of retired show dogs the owner doesn't want to use for breeding. They will make you sign a contract that you will have the dog spayed/neutered and never try to breed the animal. They will care about matching the right dog to you. Or ask dog groomers about ethical breeders in the area that might give you some leads to possible available dogs. Vets are a source of the occasional stray or knowledge of an owner who needs to place their dog. And of course there is PetsMart Saturdays when there is often an adoption day (call your nearest to check).

Breed rescues will often also have cross-breds, too. Some are rescues from dog pounds and other kill shelters, most are owner surrenders. An ethical rescue is methodically in checking you out and matching you will the right dog for you. Only choose a rescue nearby so you can visit foster homes. The foster mom will be the best source of all the good and the naughty about the dogs since rescues don't have an overnight turnover - the want to get to know the dog and get to know the dog.

There are several ways you can get a suitable dog, but take your time, see lots of dogs, give it a lot of thought, then spend some quality time with the dog, one on one, playing, a walk, before you make that decision.

Trainability is so very important - the dog must show a tremendous desire to please you. Or you can go the "tiny pieces of Pupperoni" food reward route. You want an easily trainable dog who focuses strongly on you.

Look for my next thread....
Theresa
OneMoreTime

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 02-02-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: made fragment a full sentence
OneMoreTime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dahlek (02-02-2011)