View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
It is not likely they were frozen. When frozen they would probably have some precipitate in them showing that damage.
Freezing it may break the bonds of the peptide, also and inactivate the insulin molecule so it cannot work at the cell receptors.

What happens is the insulin may be inactivated. For someone needing 50 units at a dose, that would be critical. For someone like you taking 10 units or less, it would be less so. You would see a change in your blood glucose the next day, when you test and if you do NOT change at all or much, then the insulin is working... right?

Of course, you don't have to try it at all. If you have some left, of your last order, just use that.
Oh, FYI, I checked the bottles, the insulin is clear, not cloudy, and there are not crystals and nothing is floating inside the vials.

You know what confuses the heck out of me. That when I get these they are refrigerated in an insulatled styrofoam thing and when I get them (all the other times, I mean), they are nice and cool.

When I went to Cornell and received it, they were given to me (from wherever they were stored) and they were never cold. THEY WERE ALWAYS ROOM TEMPERATURE.

Now I'm told that lantus is kept cold and when you get it, you put it in the refrigerator and then once it's opened IT'S KEPT IN THE REFRIGERATOR.

Been doing this for 7 years.

So what the heck is the correct way to store this item. In the fridge (like I've been doing, or out of the fridge?

Thanks much
Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote