View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 12:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

OH , do I understand! I was injured in karate being thrown on the ground. Didn't know I had a concussion, thought I had a virus. Went back to class and was thrown multiple times. Like an idiot, kept trying to exercise little bits over the next year- although without any jumping or shaking or I felt my brain was sloshing around all over in there. I did not realize the extent of the injury and did not want to accept such a drastic change in lifestyle,friends etc, as karate and daily workout were very important to me.

However I was never sucessful being able to exercise llike I would like. When I did I would get fatigued, dizzy, pressure in my head, nausea, and insomnia.

It has now been over 2 1/2 years. This last year I completely rested physically, without even attempting exercise and I am feeling totally fine without exercise but become symptomic with it. So I am using the method suggested by the Buffalo Concussion Clinic to slowly ride an exercise bike keeping my blood pressure at sub symptomatic levels and I can ride for 20 min now. I will very slowly keep working on it.

I did find that the most exercise I could tolerate was in the pool in the summer! After I can do some more I may join a gym with a pool. Also I have taken up new hobbies so I have something to look forward to everyday. My cognitive problems have resolved. I am trying to learn French with Rosetta Stone and bought some video editing software learn how to do that too. These thing keep me sane! I grieve my old life, but am trying to stop wasting time as my life goes by while I wait for recovery. I , and everyone around me, got tired of being cranky and waiting.

I'm not saying you are doing this! Just that after a few years of dealing with it I'm finally learning not to fight it and work with it. And the good thing is- you do find out who your friend are!
anastasiaelena is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BeccaP (02-04-2011), Grady Lady (04-01-2011), underwater (09-21-2014)