View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default A word of caution after the trial...

In hindsight, I found the trial to be pretty easy. I was laid face down on a table, prepped and the most pain I can remember was saying "ouch" a lot. I was done in about 30 mins.

The trickiest part is going home and making sure you don't pull any of the wires or get them caught on doorknobs, etc. Keep away from pets as they can jump up and you may find it challenging to find a good sleeping position. But, boy the pain relief I had during that time made all the inconveniences seem like no big deal.

I was crying a week later when I was back in the office getting it removed as I wanted to keep it. The nurse told me that they've actually had to send the police after folks because they don't want to give up the pain relief they've had!!

One word of CAUTION: not to say this is going to happen to you but it did to me and several others. Because you get so much pain relief during the trial (and are sometimes able to stop pain meds. during that week) AND because they mess with your nerves to put the trial leads in and then remove them, your pain may get worse than it was before the trial. For me, I was in more pain after the trial than before so make sure you have pain meds. to deal with it and make sure that your doctor is willing to help you deal with any increased pain you may experience until you get the permanent implant. My worst pain was after my trials (I had two as I have both a lumbar and cervical SCS) and waiting for my permanent implants. I'm not trying to scare you but to help you prepare just in case.

Here's hoping and praying that all goes well, and my rambling on here turns out to have been a waste of time

Last edited by fionab; 02-03-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: clarify
fionab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon21816 (02-04-2011), Mark56 (02-04-2011), stressedout (02-03-2011)