View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 05:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFlower View Post
Alice,

From "Food Allergies" by William E. Walsh, M.D.:

"To help relieve classic food allergy, our immune systems need a break from this monotonous diet, a day off once in a while. That's why varying your diet can work so well. Not eating wheat, corn, milk, or citrus fruits for a day gives the police responsible for these foods a well-deserved respite-a chance to refresh themselves. Then, when you reurn to eating these foods again, your refreshed immune police can stop your immune system from attacking the foods. Alternatively, they gain this rest if we eat only a small amont of the food each day, an amount they can easily control.
Is this police force a figment of my imagination? No; it exists. The police I described are cells of the immune system, cells called lymphocytes. The lymphocytes that stop allergic reaticion are called suppresser lymphocytes, and, as their name indicates, they suppress or stop allerigic reactions to foods. When they weaken, when they become exhaustedd, we suffer the immedieate or delayed syptoms of food protien allergy."

This book leaves me wanting to know more.
I am afraid the immune system and its regulation is much more complicated then that. This approach fits what we knew about the immune system more then 20 years ago. We now know it is the edge of the iceberg.
Many disease (probably more then we are aware of) involve some form of immune dysregulation.

At the same time, medicine is an empirical science (eg-based on observations, even if we do not always have a proper explanation for what we see). So, he may have reached the right conclusions, even if his explanations were a bit over-simplified.

I will let you know what I think after I read this book.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (02-05-2011)