View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1050294-overview

Susan, Some people have dermographism, like me, and tend to have an exaggerated histamine response. If you scratch your skin (like on your arm) and you see a red raised area, usually with a white area around it, chances are you have this. Mine has decreased somewhat since taking certain things out of my diet. When doctors have checked for this in the past, they used the end of a pen! Not a very sanitary way to do it.

When I got celiac disease in 2004, I also had hives. Some people with CD get an immune reaction in the gut (mast cells) that cause hives. They don't really know why some patients, like lupus patients, are more prone to having hives or this type of immune reaction.

The only way to tell for sure if you have celiac disease is by getting the antibodies tested for. And IgA, because a deficiency of it can make it look like you don't have CD when you do. And you should know that some patients with CD have absolutely no symptoms. The problem with the antibody tests is that some gastro idiots have decided that the reticulin antibody test doesn't need to be run anymore, due to the cost (not very much), wanting one magic bullet test, the fact that people with this antibody may not have a positive small intestine biopsy right away and that not as many people test positive to it. They have NOT done away with this in Europe.

Like Alice said, the immune system is so incredibly complex. I'm quite sure Dr. Walsh was simplifying for the sake of book sales. Not many people want to read complicated medical jargon, especially not about the immune system. I've spoken to him, having been a patient of his, and I can tell you definitively that his knowledge far exceeds what has been written!

Ditto on Jana's comments about yeast/candida/fungas, etc.

Allergies do change over the years. It might be worth it to be tested again. They can do RAST testing (blood tests) instead of the skin tests.

The other thing that needs to be thought of when considering immune reactions is the gut. Keeping the GI tract healthy and happy is essential. All those years I didn't know I was without stomach acid had a huge impact on my immune system. I was constantly getting sick. A year after taking Betaine HCL, a mild acid usually made from sugar beets, things settled down and I don't get sick anymore. Knock on wood.

I wish you could find a good allergist or immunologist. There might be an immunological reason why you are having such a hard time. Have you had your immunoglobulins (i.e., IgA) tested for?

I personally saw the 2nd half of Walsh's book as an integration of the 1st half's knowledge. Some people are not as "astute" as you and need those details to put it all together.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (02-06-2011)