View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Thanks, Tracy, I've already checked those Lyme sites out. I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to learning anything, not only medical stuff.

With pulse oximetry, numbers can be deceptive. It's not only what it is when you're sitting but when you're moving around and when you're sleeping (when muscles are even weaker). I hope they will do an arterial blood gas on you. Make sure they do the MIP and MEP breathing tests!

"When is it bad" is different for everyone. For me, I knew when I was overall weaker and my O2 saturation was not going above 94% no matter how much I rested that I was in trouble. That combined with my MIP/MEP two days before and the sudden shortness of breath episodes sent me to urgent care and then to the hospital for a week.

What the pulmonology techs often do with MIP and MEP is only show the highest number. That's silly with MG. Since MG is all about fatigable muscles, showing a neurologist (and pulmonologist) all of the numbers is useful. My MIP went like this right before my crisis: -61, -55, -43, -32, -31. I was feeling horrid too. If they would've looked at only the -61, it would've looked like I was fine when I wasn't. My normal MIP is in the -80's. It's not only the "absolute" MIP or MEP numbers but the percent of decrease in those numbers that matters. And when a MIP gets to about -21, it's time for doctors to consider a Bi-Pap or intubation.

Oh, and don't forget to ask the pulmonologist about an overnight oximetry!!!

Did you have the striated antibody test done? Sometimes that is elevated in those with a thymoma.

I hope you will take it easy, yet get more help!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote