View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Potential unintended backlash...?

Hey everyone!

While reading all your posts, I started thinking that adding something to the effect of "CRPS L Leg" to my existing medical bracelet (penicillin allergy) was a great idea. However, I realized that by adding a reference to CRPS on my medical bracelet, it may do more harm than good- I thought I'd share, and see what opinions you all have...

First of all, due to the unfortunate fact that RSD/CRPS (abbreviated, or written-out) is understood by so few doctors, it's likely that there are even less first-responders who do. So, (using myself as an example), if I were to add something like "CRPS in L Leg" to my medical bracelet, and were in an emergency... I don't suspect the EMT, etc, would know what that message meant, nor therefore, to act appropriately.

Furthermore, what frightens me about it all, and what I meant by "it may do more harm than good" is that the previously mentioned EMT is going to see my "L Leg" referenced on medical bracelet, and prompt them to "investigate" (i.e. touch, etc) to ensure that my "Left Leg" isn't hurt by the accident (thinking it must be "special" - an artificial limb, for instance)... Thus prompting the action we were intending to prevent.

I guess I'm just afraid that until more people (especially the medical community and first-responders) become familiar with RSD/CRPS, that there may not be much we can do to help in those first moments of emergency situations- but at least having the info "on your person" (wallet card, etc.) at all times will alert an ER Doc who hopefully is well-versed on the topic.

There's certainly an arguement for both sides- I'm just sharing my worries, and "playing devil's advocate" I guess.

I think that by doing this- communicating- we are at least getting a bit closer with every post- to more widespread understanding of the "beast" we live with...and once more widely understood, or at least recognized, then we can all check one more concern of our very long list.
SnowWhyte is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote