View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 05:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for raising this.

I thought the article in New Scientist was important. So, I was suprised to get no response when I posted on the issue two weeks ago.

IF (and I repeat IF) the cause of PD is toxins produced by an individual's specific gut micro-flora, then changing this offers, at the least, the possibility of a decrease in the rate of progression. As a partial measure it might reduce constipation.

Given the number of dopaminergic neurones in the gut and the connection between the enteric nervous system and the brain, the hypothesis would explain both the motor and non-motor symptoms of PD and the progression of symptoms (Braak).

Unfortunately, I could find little in the literature to add to that in the article.

A less radical approach would be to try to alter one's gut micro-flora by diet. Is this possible?

As a simple test I've tried drinking a litre of homemade probiotic yogurt a day for a week, but I've found no difference in symptoms. Are there more direct tests to detect changes that you can do at home (e.g. microscope)?

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote