View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 02:46 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Sounds very promising

Very promising, actually. Been around fifty ears. Lot of recreational freelancers taking up o fifty times the normal dose without noticing bad effects. Lasts up to eight to twelve hours. Makes your dopamine go farther so hopefully yo can cut back on the darned stuff.

I, for one, am going to give it a trial once I give my mao inhibitor a couple of weeks to clear out.

As to the lack of research, may I suggest that when the patent expired that there was no reason to put money into competeing with the new wonder drug levodopa.

I will dutifully report on my experience.

#%%^!@@ ...Ground Control to Major Tom...)))*^&&%
$$)*%@@# Houston, we have a problem. Tom forgot the munchies...

From wikipedia (so take with one grain of salt):

At therapeutic doses, the drug acts centrally to elevate the threshold for coughing, without inhibiting ciliary activity. Dextromethorphan is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, and metabolizes within 15 to 60 minutes of ingestion. The duration of action after oral administration is approximately three to eight hours for dextromethorphan-hydrobromide, and ten to twelve hours for dextromethorphan-polistrirex. Because administration of DXM can trigger a histamine release (an allergic reaction), its use in atopic children is very limited.

The average dosage necessary for effective antitussive therapy is between 10 mg and 30 mg. The time to re-dose depends on the specific preparation being used.

Side-effects of dextromethorphan use can include body rash/itching, nausea as well as other gastrointestinal disturbances, drowsiness, dizziness, excitation, vomiting, blurred vision, dilated pupils, sweating, fever, hypertension, shallow respiration, urinary retention, and increases in heart rate, blood pressure, and body temperature.[5]

Dextromethorphan can also produce psychological dependence due to its potential for recreational use, but does not produce physical addiction, according to the WHO committee on Drug Dependence.

Dextromethorphan, when combined with guaifenesin, an expectorant used in many preparations, is likely to cause nausea and vomiting when the combination is taken at recreational doses.

Dextromethorphan should not be taken with any of the following:

* monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)[5]
* selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)[5]
* CNS depressant drugs and substances, including alcohol, antihistamines, and psychotropics, will have a cumulative CNS depressant effect if taken with dextromethorphan.[5]

Dextromethorphan was first patented with U.S. Patent 2,676,177 .<1954>

The FDA approved dextromethorphan for over-the-counter sale as a cough suppressant in 1958. This filled the need for a cough suppressant lacking the sedative side-effects, stronger potential for abuse, and physically addictive properties of codeine phosphate, the most widely-used cough medication at the time (now prescription-only in the United States).[11] As with most cough suppressants, studies show that dextromethorphan's effectiveness is highly debatable.[2] See also: Cough medicine controversy

During the 1960s and 1970s, DXM became available in an over-the-counter tablet form by the brand name Romilar. It was put on the shelves in hopes of cutting down on codeine cough remedies. In 1973, Romilar was taken off the shelves after a burst in sales due to common recreational use. It was then replaced by cough syrup, in an attempt to cut down on recreational usage.[11]

More recently (around 2000) gel capsule forms began reappearing in the form of Robitussin CoughGels as well as several generic forms of that preparation.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote