View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrae View Post
I have a great PM doc who is on the verge of retirement......he writes out wonderful prescriptions...but is completely NOT interested in digging deeper in to the problem. I'M the one who had to push to get the Xray. I'M the one who has to call the shots it seems like.
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Specialization! In a way, it's not his job to delve into the causes of pain (though in another way it is); his job is to help you manage the pain you're ostensibly stuck with. Makes sense but still seems stupid, huh?

I get the frustration, though I've worked past/through some of it (e.g. stages of grief). My orthopedic surgeon advised against surgery for me (everyone/case is different), because the numbers weren't there to support it. Chances were better than 50% of my pain being the same or worse after surgery, and I didn't care for those odds.

His advice was Pain Management (adding that some healing/body adjustment would occur naturally in time) until either my situation or medical science changed. I don't regret that decision one bit; some healing/fusing has occured, as has some further degeneration, but we're dealing with it.

Quote:
Well, since it appears that I have to be my own advocate in trying to get any answers, I better learn more about some of these options - myofascial trigger techniques.... and by 'techniques', are you referring to injections?
I wasn't, specifically, but they are one of the modalities used in PM. Sometimes they use steroids (cortisone or other); sometimes other little "cocktails"; I'm not really up on them since they didn't work for me.

I was referring to myofascial trigger point therapy ("massage*"). I concur with Jo*mar's observations**, except that in my own experience, while PTs are somewhat familiar with myofascial trigger points & treatment, I would seek out (as I did personally at the suggestion of my PM doctor at the time - he couldn't officially "refer" - politics....) a certified/licensed (depending on jurisdiction) Myofascial Trigger Point Therapist .
http://www.myofascialtherapy.org/index.html

* "Massage" may be a bit of a misnomer, which the therapist joked about with us. Basically, they manually work out little knots in the muscle tissue, but this little manipulation can generate a pain level of 7 if it's done properly. "This too shall pass!"

** especially those about the circle/cycle of pain - I have a lot on that.

The therapist we saw was light years ahead of and beyond the local PTs. There is a lot of overlap. She helped me work on things like posture, gait, proper sitting support, etc. When it got down to the nitty-gritty, she located several MTP issues, worked them out, made some observations, and then taught us how to continue the therapy on our own at home.
http://www.triggerpointbook.com/
with or without a Thera Cane
http://www.theracane.com/
tennis ball, and/or a few other common household items...

Quote:
You've opened some doors of possible opportunities I can check in to.
I appreciate it.
There are many. Western medicine pretty much limits itself to two choices: surgery and/or medication. Eastern & alternative medicines take a somewhat wider view, but we must be vigilant against quackery. Then there are individual prejudices like belief systems, past experience, and preconceptions (right or wrong) tossed into the mix....

What's working for me now are a little of each, depending on.... well, a lot of variables. I use/have used meds, MTP massage, TENS, stretching/exercises, distraction (a lot of distraction).... Then there were several boatloads of things that didn't work....

Like I said, we gotta do what we gotta do.
Hang in there!

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (02-13-2011), Rrae (02-08-2011)