View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 11:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Gaba and the chloride channel

That seems like a possibility to me. This article
http://www.neurogenesis.com/Neurotra...w-it-works.php
on neuro transmitters that someone else posted on another thread, seems related. It talks about the increase of (or increased ratio to other neurotransmitters) norepinephrine or epinephrine from stress which in turn signals the body to produce more neurotransmitters (such as GABA).
And here's the related part, if something else (such as misfolded proteins) are in the neurotransmitters receptor sites.... they would fool the body into reducing or eventually stopping the production of those neurotransmitters as well as opening channels.
"As the GABA Sensitive Ring and either the Second or Third Neurotransmitter rings begin to fill with their respective molecules, they tighten the whole GABA complex, thereby widening the chloride channel to allow more chloride to enter. Since chloride neutralizes norepinephrine, this process can calm excessive nervousness, tension, and stress.

Since the Second and Third Neurotransmitter Rings are sensitive to external source substances such as benzodiazepines, barbiturates and alcohol, these external substances can cause the Chloride Channel to open, thereby assisting in the neutralizing of additional adrenaline.

However, prolonged use of any external substances that cause the GABA complex to widen without the natural production of GABA, can eventually send the message to the brain that GABA is no longer needed. The brain doesn't produce neurotransmitters to store, rather it produces them for immediate use. Therefore, if the brain continues to receive the message that GABA is not needed to widen the chloride channel, the brain may finally slow down the GABA production, thereby creating a deficiency."

I am sorry this is not presented more clearly- I can barely understand it myself. Do you think his relates to what you presented CS?