View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Jessica, What kind of pain are you having? I have posted a lot about Neurontin. I hate when doctors pooh-pooh medical info. It has been shown to CAUSE MG as well, not only make it worse. That's great your husband figured that out.

Have you been checked for the obvious sources of pain such as B12, vitamin D, electrolytes, etc.? Finding the cause of pain is absolutely important. If you take pain meds without doing that, then the pain will continue even if you can't "feel" it.

They make patients often wait for the third round in front of a judge in order to get social security. I had to wait for that too. This is going to sound lame but, unfortunately, how you look has an impact on judges too. Dress simply, but still look "pretty." How sexist is that? A basic top in a pretty and passive color like blues or greens or periwinkle, for example, will help. Not red, don't wear red. This sounds very silly but how you present yourself is important. Just wear pants. People who don't feel well don't put on a dress. I hate that I'm writing all this but these kinds of "perception" issues play a role. I worked in PR/communications/marketing for years, so I know personally the impact of presentation.

You have to show the judge how bad you are. I didn't take Mestinon that day and I was really bad. I literally had to hold my head up with my arm after about 20 minutes. I slouched a lot too. And those chairs in a courtroom are really uncomfortable. I let my emotions show too but in a nonverbal, subtle way. I think I just looked "tired" the entire time. I could feel my entire face drooping. The judge asked me many questions. I did tear up at one point, when I talked about not be able to work. Then he talked about depression and I almost lost it. Can you imagine having to talk about such personal things in front of a judge? Get ready for that because it's not as easy as it sounds.

Only answer questions you are asked unless you feel making a point is necessary. Speaking as little as possible is good. Be polite. Say "Yes, your Honor" or "No, your Honor." You don't have to say "Your Honor" after everything but they do want to know you respect them . . . just like doctors do. This may sound like very simplistic stuff but the lawyer who represented me told me how often people lose cases due to very simple and basic things like this. Sad but true.

It's important to have someone there with you. 1) to drive and 2) to show you are supported. You'll be amazed how tiring these hearings are. I could hardly get up out of my chair afterwards. Prepare for a nap!

The judge I had declared in court that I was approved, which is not often done. While I was relieved, due to the two plus years without money, I was also completely overwhelmed because it meant I was officially disabled. Nothing can quite prepare you for that moment.

I hope the hearing goes well. No one likes to have SSDI but those of us who need it, need it. I'd give almost anything to be able to work again. Sorry you can't either.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (02-07-2011), korbi_doc (02-07-2011), sugrkiss (02-07-2011)