View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
I am just sharing that this is the same Dr. Perlmutter who has been offering glutathione treatments for PD. Several patients have filed complaints against him. It's too bad because I like a lot of what he has sad; however, after reading several patient experiences, I can't help but question his motivations.

Thanks,

Laura
hi Laura, well...you can please soome of the people some of the time...I too thought his office charges seemed extremely high but hey - he is entitled to value his work! Sometimes complaints get the louder press and I don't envy the G-d complex docs are pressured to live up to. I tend to agree with taoist philosophy that there is no blame.

this interview treated us to over two hours of getting inside the head (learning what he thinks how he thinks and why he thinks what he does) of a neuro that takes nutrition seriously. he seemed quite genuine..

I was particularly interested in his discussion of epigenetics and that SSRIs actually can promote brain plasticity. I have a friend who took an antidepressant forr a year and then she stopped needing it. perhaps there may be discovered other drugs that when taken for a limited period can also prromote brain plasticity when combined with other things like meditation.

here is a synopsis (though it really doesn't do it justice )of the interview from the coast site :

Neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter discussed how the brain can be enhanced to open pathways for optimal functioning and health, as well as enlightenment. He spoke about the importance of neuroplasticity-- the ability of the brain to rewire itself and make better connections, and outlined a number of techniques to achieve this. Meditation, for instance, makes the brain work more efficiently, and reduces levels of harmful cortisol. Interestingly, he noted that spiritual experiences, such as prayer and meditation, have now been shown to take place in certain parts of the brain through MRI and other tests.

Certain supplements can act as "epigenetic" factors, turning on gene pathways that can, for instance, increase production of antioxidants in the body. These include turmeric, and DHA, an omega-3 fatty acid found in products like fish oil. He suggested fasting once a month, which turns on several important gene pathways that increase neuroplasticity. One of the most powerful epigenetic factors is physical exercise, he added.

Dr. Perlmutter also talked about the importance of Vitamin D to brain function, and noted that people with Alzheimer's and autism typically have lower levels of it. Additionally, he touched on how the human brain has evolved, with primitive reptilian functions (such as fight or flight) sometimes holding people back from higher levels of thoughts and perception.

kind regards
md

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
~ Nikola Tesla

Last edited by moondaughter; 02-08-2011 at 02:39 AM.
moondaughter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote