Thread: just lost it
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I use hiking poles.... much easier to walk with! And easier on the hands (I have carpal tunnel too).
(SIGH) There's one in every crowd.

Hand comfort - arthritis particularly, but I would think CTS as well (we've both had flares) - is exactly what the fritz handle was designed for. Nowadays there is an even larger variety of ergonomic molded and padded handles. It's also prudent to have a cane properly sized for best comfort/support. The stresses between cane vs. staff vs. stick on the whole body are quite different, especially if needed to assist in weight bearing. I've used staves when camping, and they're probably better for that, but for truckin' around town, the cane works far better for most folks. (Don't see many hiking poles in the surgical supply stores either... Are they covered by insurance w/ prescription?)

Besides - No-one thinks much of a cane when brought into a public place. At least they don't start calling you "Gandalf"!

Doc (who has a fair share of staff/Renaissance Fair stories...)

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote