View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Ribbon About Murray Charters...

On Saturday, April 24, 2004, at the 10th Annual Parkinson's Unity Walk, the Alan Bonander Humanitarian Award was presented to Murray Charters of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The Bonander Award is presented yearly to an individual, or individuals, deemed to make an exemplary contribution to Parkinson's education and advocacy.

While Murray modestly described himself as "jus' an ol' red-necked mechanic who happened to have Parkinson's," the Parkinson's community knew better. Murray maintained an ever evolving personal website, dedicated to Parkinson's World Awareness and FREE Easy Access to "Information" for all, aptly titled "Parkinson's Resources on the WWWeb". This warm, approachable site was a virtual conduit to the latest Parkinson's news and advocacy information.

Before there was a Web site, Murray began assembling links on Parkinson's education from his personal Internet searching of Web sites and newswires. He shared "the more interesting stuff" with members of his local Early Onset Parkinson's Support Group and with some members of the PARKINSN Information Exchange e-mail LISTSERVE. Eventually a Parkinsonian cyber-friend set up a Web site for Murray. In July 2002, Murray taught himself HTML coding and assumed the role of "Webmaster" of his site. Understanding the physical challenges that many individuals with Parkinson's face, Murray thoughtfully tailored his "Magic Links" to maximize results with minimal typing.

Murray Charters passed away from complications from lung cancer on June 1, 2005, while resting in his favorite chair in Vancouver, British Columbia.

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Perryc (02-09-2011)