View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanB View Post
Thanks so much for your interest and support, myeamans!

What's happening with me? Yes. lots of burning and leg pain, although the latter doesn't sound to me exactly like what I've heard described for PAD. The muscles hurt when walking, especially climbing stairs, but the muscle pain stops immediately when I stop moving, not a lingering ache like PAD symptoms say. Burning is almost all the time.

Color change: GP noticed it, I didn't, and said it was Raynaud's, but nobody's ever paid any attention to it until I mentioned it to my latest neuro. He didn't really look at it, but suggested a calcium channel blocker. It sounded like it invited more trouble than the condition causes, so I said "nope!"

I will keep in mind what you said about your experiences. Thanks again!
My feet would burn bad and would turn purple. Sometimes my toes would get so dark that they'd be almost black but mostly my feet just looked like something you'd find under a sheet in the morgue with a toe tag hanging off of it! lol He started me on nifedipine (a calcium channel blocker) and my feet were better immediately. It was awesome! Then my legs started hurting. They called it claudication. Whenever I tried exercising, coming up stairs, walking, running whatever I did they would hurt but once I stopped the pain would go away. So they put me on something for the claudication and I've felt better since then. Not 100% but better. I am running again and most days I don't have any problems. Except for standing still for long periods, then the blood kind of pools down to my feet and my legs start hurting bad. I would seriously consider started the CCB, a small doseage of it and see what happens. If you do decide to try it, ask for the extended release kind because the side effects aren't as bad. Its been really difficult getting this diagnosis, I didn't think it would ever happen. I gave up caffeine, artificial sweeteners, tried low sugar, low salt, took vitamins, you name it! If I saw it on the internet and thought that maybe it would do something, I figured why not try it. The only thing that I found was sugar makes my legs hurt worse because I guess the blood is thicker and doesn't flow as easily and a lot of salt makes my legs swell more which also happens a little on the CCB. But I'm a lot happier than I was a year ago when I didn't have a diagnosis and my feet were so bad that I was ready to cut them off! lol
myeamans is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (02-08-2011)