View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default When you've not had an MRI? ...

It seems a scary, dangerous and frightening thing to go thru. The FIRST TIME.
For most of the folks here who've been around a while? It's old hat!
Here is one web site on MRI tests:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003335.htm
If you feel you need more info, web up: MRI tests.
IF you are anxious? It's kind of short notice to ask your doc for some pre-meds... so? Just remember to ask for ear plugs [the test IS noisy] and think good things as it shouldn't normally last more than 15-20 minutes...mostly trying to 'KEEP STILL'! I for one, always feel stiff and sore afterwards? But it wears off w/a couple of asperin or the like.
Don't worry if they use a contrast...they'll inject it into you to get a higher resolution and better pictures-thus test results. Depends on what your docs asked for w/the test. IF your doc gave you a copy of the 'orders' for the test? Make a copy and that can help you later learn more about where they mite be looking for the 'what?s'.
Some MRI places are good in that IF you ASK for a copy of the test results[In my case, I've got a bakers' dozen of docs] so I can get a copy, and bring a copy of my copy to each other doc I see. If they get squirrelly about that? Ask the doc who ordered the tests for a copy...tho they may want to charge you about $20, or so? It's really useful to get these results and look them up yourself - you can learn a LOT about YOU!
Yeah, most folks don't 'understand', others often are afraid to understand..do you get my drift? OR you get more than ten earsfull of THEIR complaints! Sometimes it's best to be cool about it? What I did w/my family [who didn't understand] was send them printed pages from NIH of what I finally got diagnosed with! Then they knew I wasn't 'inventing' something, And thus backed off- at least a bit. NIH is kind of hard to dispute.
I'll be crossing my fingers for you tomorrow! My toes don't work and my eyes don't cross tho! You'll do fine, and the better you get thru this test? There are always others! So don't be afraid to ask about them! 's!!-j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote