View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetist View Post
On average, I'm one of those people who can play sports, but pay the price with hours of sleep to follow. On rare occasions, I unexpectedly have these extreme episodes of weakness, but my most consistent MG problems have been breathing and relative weakness.

However, this past Saturday, I discovered something. One day, I accidentally took 120 mg dosage of Mestinon instead of 60mg. I played tennis, and I was not tired. I'm too scared to do that again, unless I know someone who has done that as a method. Since, last time I took too much Mestinon (by doctor's orders), I literally could not lift a muscle for hours, had to go to the ER.

So, I would like to know if anyone doubled up on Mestinon and had some success.
First, talk to your doctor before making any changes to your drugs - but, increasing your Mestinon dose is something you may need to discuss.

Second, yep, I take 120mg of Mestinon on a regular basis. I was taking 120mg every 4 hours, with the Timespan at night, but as we've gotten the Myasthenia under control with Prednisone and Imuran (and IVIg during the first year of diagnosis when I was really weak), we've reduced the Mestinon down to 90mg 3 times a day, sometime 4 times a day depending on how I'm feeling, with the Timespan at night. I'm not sure what you would consider "success" with taking 120mg, but I do work full time, volunteer, hang out with friends, run on a semi-regular basis, and am fairly active, without getting too tired and needing to take a day (or 3) to recover.

But, like I said, it's something for you to discuss with your doctor, and remember not everyone responds the same way.
Jenn220 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pingpongman (02-09-2011)