View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 03:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default getting anxious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucer View Post
Hi Cath,
Are they going in posterior or anterior for your surgery?
I understand the pain but not just that but the damage that is being done to spinal cord. I was so worried about that my Dr. woke my up after my last surgery telling me over and over your not paralyzed, you are good. Move this, move that, so needless to say this is what I remember most after the surgery. It is a very scary thing, these surgeries but being fused is nothing compared with being in a wheelchair.
Good Luck to you,
Saucer
They are doing my anterior, and my neuro is going to adjust my incision to a lower horizontal incision in the front to allow for possible surgeries that may be needed later in life (tryint to avoid ever having to go in through the back of my neck, my father had that done 15 years ago and it was terrible!). He was unsure about my C4 being fused, but by lowering my incision and reducing scar tissue he says he'd be able to do a second surgery through the front if I ever needed it. (I'm only 40 and I'm pretty active, so there will be a lot of stress put on other discs if I'm not careful, for many years to come). But for now we're just fusing C5, C6, C7.

I'm hopeful and thinking postive, I'm so exhausted from the relentless pain everyday I just want a shot at being better. It helps that I totally love my neurosurgeon, he has a wonderful bedside manner and is very easy to talk to about concerns. I went from being terrified to comfortable after my last couple of appts. just by getting more at ease with the surgeon. After all, they have our life in their hands, literally!

I am very scared about the paralization risk also, but have to remain hopeful that everything happens for a reason, and I am very healthy otherwise.... here's hoping this will give me some mobility back to my life.

I wish you the best! Where are you from btw? I see BIG differences in healthcare from Canada (I'm in Ontario) and the United States. There are pros and cons to both I believe.

The pain is horrific, I don't believe anyone can fully understand how bad this sort of nerve pain is unless they have experienced it themselves. That's one thing I like about this forum, others can relate and understand how you feel.

Take care.... wishing you a low pain day! Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote