View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default I just asked my dad to buy me a rollator

They had some at Costco, and they're a nice blue color that I like. So I asked my dad.

He gave me this look and said something about a rollator would make me "more disabled". I looked over at my mom, who has THREE rollators (one's a piece of crap, one she's currently using, and the other one is too big for our house and we only use it outside, otherwise I'd hijack one of hers) and watched her practically RUN into her bedroom, while pushing her rollator in front of her to get something. She doesnt look "more" disabled. She looks like the rollator is helping her get around without a lot of stumbling or falling.

I am not really that comfortable using a cane. I feel unsteady, there's been a couple of times where I felt like I was going to fall backwards today, and I do NOT like that at all. Falling sucks, and it kinda hurts if you fall just the right/wrong way. I highjacked my mom's rollator a little bit ago to show my dad that it's easier to use, and he still thinks it'll make me "more" disabled.

Screw that, my mom has been using rollators for at least 7yrs with her bad knees and bad back and I can tell that she walks better with one. After trying hers, *I* feel like I can walk better with one.

Right now I'm hesitant to walk, because I'm really not wanting to chance falling down. I dont have any money. My dad was nice last week and got me a shower seat so I could at least wash my hair without getting tired and falling down, so I dont understand why he wont help with getting me a basic rollator from Costco that's less than $100. It's not like I asked him to go to the mobility aide store and get me the Cadillac of electric scooters or something.

I just want to be able to walk easier and hopefully build up the muscles that are tired and weak right now. Using that stupid stick is getting kind of frustrating.

I dont think I need my doctor or physical therapists permissions (or a Rx) to get one.

What is it about people who are capable of walking normally thinking that using a mobility aide makes you "more" disabled? It's like a pair of glasses. If you need to use your glasses to read, you use them, right? If I need an aluminum frame with wheels and handlebars to walk easier, I want to use it.

It just feels like he's making this harder than it is.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (02-12-2011), dmplaura (02-13-2011), Lady (02-12-2011), SallyC (02-11-2011)