View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Hey MZ33 and Chupachickie

Rae gives good counsel and the right direction to the subforum for SCS and Pain Pump device implants here on Neurotalk by giving you the link to the very subforum she encouraged NT to allow. We are heavily populated by folks who have had the full gamut of concerns and questions such as you express..... frankly, including even me, because I came here in search of answers to basic questions originally about the psychological evaluation which is part of the selection process of hoops to be chosen as a viable candidate for the surgery due to its high expense and permance of the implant of foreign material into the body.

MZ33, I was originally afraid of the whole thought of taking on another surgery because I had gone through so many after a wreck in which I was involved. I just did not want to go there, but with the gentle nudging of my wife and my physiatrist, I did ultimately elect for giving it a go, and AM I EVER GRATEFUL for having had it done. Among the steps, the trial surgery, during which the implant is temporarily inserted as wire leads connected to an externally mounted brain/battery unit gives you around a week to determine in consultation with your doc and company representative whether your situation is ripe for permanent implant. Many steps make up the process of getting to permanence, and for good reason.

Chupachickie, I noticed subsidence of the pains associated with the incisions of permanent implant over a period of weeks. It is just a part of incisional work and your body healing process which makes for discomfort over a period of time. You will get to the point where you hardly notice the incisions themselves. My permanent implant was June 30, 2010, just to give you a time concept.

We have so many different uses among the patients represented on the subforum, trigeminal nerve face pain, arm and hand pain to the point that a hand was in a constant tight grip and has opened due to the relief from pain, arm pain, cervical issues, low back and peripheral nerve pain in the legs among the users I can recall from the subforum. So, follow the link Rae provides, and give yourself a tour. You may find answers or those will readily answer them once you do.

May all be well with you,
Mark56
Mark56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Rrae (02-13-2011)