View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey View Post
I wouldn't tell them nothing. If someday your doctor says you are able to work again, then maybe say something if you want. Otherwise, NO, NO, NO.
I agree Ricky. My case was a little different. I drove truck for 35 years and developed neuropathy in both feet due to diabetes. My Doc wouldn't pass my required Dept Of Transportation physical unless I saw a Neurologist. After 1/2 day testing, the Neuro Doc said I was unqualified to operate a commercial vehicle due to severe neuropathy and lack of reflexes.

When I 1st applied my caseworker said SSA takes it very serious when other federal agencies disqualify you from an existing job because of physical or mental conditions. Then added at age 56, no college, and lack of other skills that can be used for other types of work, my case was very strong.

I actually took a job working with disabled boys in a group home, after being disqualified from driving. So I did try to do something else. After a week, we agreed I did not have the stamina and control of balance to continue.

I included a copy of the denied DOT physical report with my medical questionnaire, and a letter from the boys home director, explaining why a mutual termination was agreed on.and SSA awarded it on 1st try.

Since there is really no possibly of improvement, at least not enough to ever drive professionally again, my Doc would likely never say I can return to work, at least to that line of work. Not to mention in that situation, he has to consider possible lawsuits if he approves me, and is wrong, and there's an accident, regardless of who is at fault.

The main thing with me, is my condition was deteriorating rapidly towards the end, while working . Since I've stop working, it hasn't gotten better and never will. But at least it has stopped progressing to any large degree

Then there is the severe arthritis in the back of the neck. It's not a constant pain, but the flare ups come on for no reason, no warning, at any time, and can last up to 5 days. At that point, I can't hardly get out of bed. Standing, sitting will be so painful it can literally drive you to tears.
Samm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote