View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 07:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri_TOS View Post
I tried yoga after an MVA figuring the problems were here to stay so I needed to learn to live with it as the doctors didn't know what was up with my arm/shoulder/neck zone. I tried yoga and pilates during the early weeks while I was going through the process of being evaluated for TOS. Bingo, I was positive for TOS. I couldn't handle yoga or pilates and later physical therapy. Similar to you, I was predisposed to TOS with a large bone growth on the first rib but the MVA set off the TOS and it only continued to worsen. I opted for surgery 21 months after the MVA when the muscles in my hand and forearm had wasted away, and pain was never ending. I had to try something. The surgery was 7 years ago and worth it (so far).

I do have a cervical rib on the other side which is becoming symptomatic but waiting for the symptoms to worsen enough to warrant surgery. Because you have anatomical reasons for developing TOS, you may fair better with surgery than most people but it's not guaranteed.
i am having surgery, 1st rib removal, in 2 weeks. i am scared. but i'm on methadone, tramadol, and dilaudid, so it's now necessary. i've been dealing with it since 2005. i'm really scared. i have to have a pain pharamasist, because my surgeon said he cannot give me meds since mine are so high already, and that "we will have a hard time controlling your pain afterward." he said i will be back to work in 4 weeks, and we will see if we need to do the right side as well. i'm 99% sure we are going to do the right side. i would rather he do it right away instead of me going back to work for a couple months and then off again.
can you tell me your experience after surgery? i type all day and sit at a desk. i like to garden, walk my dog, i want to have a baby, and i want to stop picking fights with my loving boyfriend because i'm taking my anxiety out on him.
tannemich is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote