View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default our experience with Dr. Nuzzo

Our 12 year old daughter had surgery with Dr. Nuzzo in oct 2010 after a friend and PT recommended him. She has CP and he did an alcohol block on her feet and a hamstring lengthening. We did not have a good experience at all. We drove 10 hours from central virginia for the operation and that could be one source of the problems. The doctor did not talk to us before or after the operation. We had to call several times just to get preop instructions. After the operation the doctor only shook my husband's hand and said it went well and he'd talk to him later.....never did. We were put into the car for the 10 hour trip home with 2 knee immobilizers, casts and only xeroxed copies of instructions with nothing verbal from the doctor at all. I called and tried to make contact with the doctor several times a week for about a month My daughter's whole foot started turning in even with the cast on. She started scissoring. We were delayed in getting her AFO's because we were told that she would not have to wear them anymore during the consult. After I read through the xeroxed post op info, I realized she had to have them right after her casts were removed!!! Thank goodness for UVA, who made an appointment for us immediately and rushed the AFO's, although it takes 4 weeks to make them. Not to give too many details, but the doctor has been totally unavailable and we were assured that his costs would be around 1500$. Imagine my panic when we received a bill for 32,000$ and a note saying we were being referred to a collection agency. we are working out a payment plan, but we are farmers and that amount is our yearly income. When I called to try to figure it all out, they said the 1500$ was "an estimate" I'm sorry, but 20 times the amount is not an estimate!! All of the problems would be okay to deal with if we had seen the dramatic results we were promised. The only reason I dwell on the other is it makes a stressful situation (your child being operated on) even more stressful...which is okay if the results are good. My daughter did have a slight improvement, but not "dramatic" as Dr. Nuzzo promised in the 5 minutes we saw him for a consult and the 30 seconds we saw him after the operation. If you would like anymore information, please contact me. I am really only doing this not for spite, but to save someone the effort if it is going to be a bad experience without great results. Thanks.

QUOTE=hirwin;90608]Hello! My son was born at 25 wks. and developed PVL which led to him having mild spastic diplegia cp. He is 9 yrs. old now and about a month ago we had surgery w/ Dr. Roy Nuzzo of Summit, NJ. He is world renown for his amazing procedures on children w/ CP. We were wondering if there was anyone else on this board who has gone to him or might give us some opinions on what to expect from the surgery. He had muscle lengthenings in his heel chords and calf muscles and alcohol blocks on his hamstrings. Dr. Nuzzo doesn't do it the traditional way though. He makes small pinpoint incisions behind the knee and calf muscle and tears the muscles istead of cutting it. The main reason we did the surgery was to help my son's severe toeing in. Right out of the surgery he was walking w/ his toes straight as an arrow, but the more he walks and especially now that he got his casts off last Fri. he has started turning his feet in again. Now more the left, which wasn't bad before surgery. The right was the worst. We always thought his toeing in was a result of hip problems, but Dr. Nuzzo said he didn't have to do anything w/ his hips that it was all due to spasticity in his calf muscles and ankles. Has anyone else had this surgery or seen dr. Nuzzo? Will the toeing in get better? I'm hoping we didn't go across the US for nothing! Another parent I've been talking w/ said her son gradually got better, but I guess I'm like everyone, I want results NOW!! :-) Thanks in advance! Heather[/QUOTE]
marycush is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote