View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesha33 View Post
Thank you so much for the support, help, and kind words. It is nice to have a place to go to to talk about things and have people understand. Don't get me wrong, I have an amazing support group of friends and family but I can still feel so incredibly alone at times. I appreciate the contacts and help searching for info. That means so much!

I have a mixture of Dilaudid, Bubificane (sp), and a small amount of Clonodine. I don't know the exact amounts of each but I know that I receive ~6mg/day of the mixture and most of it is Dilaudid. If there are steroids I have not been informed. However, even with the pump I have had my share of steroid shots. Last March I had 3 sets of shots on each side. The third round wasn't all steroids but just added for anti-inflammation since I was having a nerve ablation procedure done. The year before I had 2 rounds of shots in my cervical discs. I have also had some injections prior to that but it was before the pump was inserted and I didn't have any side effects.
Is it possible that the steroid shots could still be causing issues?

The only way that I can prevent the swelling is to just not eat- anything. I was talking to my sister about all of this today and she remembers sitting outside with me last summer and I ate a small snack and my ankles and calves blew up. She said it's like you could see them expanding. I have had my weight fluctuate by 15 pounds within a week. I also understand that weight changes with age but something is up, I know it. We're talking 50 pounds despite the fact that I eat textbook healthy.

I have decent pain relief with the pump and being so young I went through hell to get it and finally off all of the pills and patches so I definitely will not just take it out without the most careful consideration because once it's out I am back to square one.
I do think back to a 5 year period (after surgery #1) where I dealt with chronic pain but took no medication, except for the occassional vicoden on a really bad night. I felt alert, alive, not sluggish, and like myself. Then again it can be easy to forget pain and I have to remember that I spent plenty of time miserable. It just seems that many of my problems started when the regular pain meds started- it's a vicious cycle and becomes a question of which is worse (especially because I still have quite a bit of pain).

I guess I have a lot to think about and at this point I am trying to find any and all information that I can. I found an interesting article that someone posted on here and it says that a side effect of the pump is loss of menstruation. Bingo! I don't think my Dr. meant to keep this from me but I am not his typical pump patient. My hope for right now is that I can get these side effects under control. Thanks again for listening and for your support
Dilaudid and buprivacaine both cause nausea at times. Clonidine can cause swelling. Have your thyroid checked, do you still have your gallbladder? Maybe an ulcer? How much sodium do you take in? Do you have more swelling with heat? How is your kidney function? Just throwing some things out there for you to think about.... Have you sat down and talked with your pain doc about your concerns...
z
pooh_ac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon21816 (02-16-2011), Mark56 (02-15-2011), Rrae (02-15-2011)