View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
I've used treadmill, elliptical, exercise bike with no problems, I don't hold on to the support bars continuously, but the elliptical does have the arm movement support/handles- it is a smooth movement and it works out OK for me, more so than static hold positions.

I tried Curves a few times but having to change to the next machine so quickly was a pain as well as the equipment could be padded better and smoother operating.
I wouldn't recommend it as most is resistance or magnet driven, and the one size fits all approach.

I just got some yoga DVDs from the library so I plan to see if there are any that work for me.
Jo, if you are interested I can recommend some Yoga DVD’s. I recently began yoga practice as a complete beginner, and have done so based on instructional DVD’s rather than taking a class. I’ve found some extremely useful, and others less so. If you are a complete beginner like me, the ones I like may suit you too.

Regarding use of an elliptical, I want to ask – are you free of double-crush symptoms affecting for example the ulnar nerve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysf View Post
I walk or ride a stationary bike when I'm feeling up to it. Even on a good day, walking more than 40 minutes can cause very severe problems, including migraine. So I do exercise in small chunks. There are many days when I'm not up to anything so I don't push it.

I think the TOX maxim holds true -- if it hurts or causes increased pain later, don't do it.
Kelly, your problem with walking may be similar to mine. My symptoms onset somewhere between 40-90 minutes of walking, and begin with a crawling sensation in the posterior cervical region that acts like an early warning system for the pain that follows if I don’t lie down or rest my upper back/neck/head against something.

I am interested in the small chunks of exercise approach. I have considered this. I am concerned that although I wouldn’t experience pain during that short period, I may nevertheless be aggravating the underlying condition. May I ask for your take on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tied View Post
swimminng and yoga are good. be sure to modify them. there are always good modifications the instructor can suggest. i also park far away and use stairs a lot. shopping in a big box saves $ and gives exercise too. when standing in line do tree balance. balance is important in healing. i am very stiff so stretching is essential.
My GP (who I think would not object if I said possesses a poorer understanding of TOS than I do) has suggested swimming. What about the overhead shoulder movements involved though? Do you use some strokes and not others?

Yoga’s Tree pose is something that I found hilarious at first because I was akin to a spinning top, constantly either twisting or falling over. I enjoy it now, and even try doing it with my eyes closed.
BKRich is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote