View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm still in due diligence mode regarding faecal transplants (FT). To that end I've been looking at defecation frequency.

I've argued in a previous post in this thread that circumstantial evidence (NOT PROOF) in favour of FT would be if a person had a U-shaped probability distribution of the length of time between defecations.

(The argument goes as follows, FT would make most sense if an individual's PD [the stress is on "individual"; there may be many causes] was caused by an ongoing release of toxins from the gut. One would expect toxin levels to be at a minimum following defecation, and to increase until the next one; this would cause PD symptoms to go from a minimum to a maximum, but one of these symptoms is a slowing of the transit time; so you would have a window of opportunity to defecate relatively normally before the PD hit in, otherwise things would slow down, harden, with the next defecation being delayed until pressure builds up. Thus, and this is the U-shape, there would be a period of high probability of defecation, followed by a period of low probability, followed by a period of high probability.

Since my diagnosis in 2005 I've collected PD relevant data, including between 2006 and 2009 defecation data. ( I gave up collecting defecation data because I was worried about becoming anally retentive [!!!].) Things are complicated by changes in medication, both directly for constipation and for PD. So, I've chosen a period between January and August 2006 when I was on neither.

The frequencies of the length of time in days between defecations are:
[0,1) 23
[1,2) 45
[2,3) 16
[3,4) 24
[4,5) 3
[5,6) 3

where [x,y) means the interval between x days and just short of y days.

I take this as being consistent with a U-shaped distribution and, hence, FT. However, I repeat, THIS IS NOT PROOF: there are many other ways to explain the distribution.

Does anyone else have data?

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote