View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default A kinder gentler response

Ron,

I am truly sorry. None of that was directed at you; it's just a wee bit of anger that I should channel into something constructive. I guess for me when I see PD equated with accelerated aging, it raises my ire because it is laden with so much more: Equating PD as a disease of old age:

-feeds into stereotype that many in States have; that it is only reserved for those in a nursing home.
-society generally cares very little for older people.
-levodopa can be therapeutic minus the dyskinesia, but I think the no dyskinesia in older onset cases is due to something else not the shorter term use of drug. Some young onset people become dyskinetic in a year even some it just takes months. Honestly, I think they are two different things.
-the fact that levodopa may be used for a shorter time in majority...well all of this, I think, perpetuates myth that PD is pretty darn benign for a neuro disease and it hold back research innovation in improved treatment.

Anyway, apologies Ron.

Oh,and I am thinking that older folks you see have undiagnosed PD or opt to delay or fore go treatment. According to the Cleveland Clinic site the misconception that shaking, stooped posture, and slow shuffling walk is a natural part of aging results in inaccurate counts on actual PWP. I have also read that PD isn't so rare in African-American community...again they have no idea their symptoms are abnormal.

So your guy could probably benefit from levodopa!

Laura

Last edited by Conductor71; 02-16-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
VICTORIALOU (01-12-2013)