View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I met an 81-year old lady at my bus stand a few week ago, going home with her shopping in the rain, as I was. Similar size to me (large), and she had a shaky right hand. BUT she had a long stride, could get out of her seat in one, and had a huge smile. This was despite the fact that she had surgery on tendons in both feet barely three weeks before. She was more mobile than I was ten years ago! I see quite a lot of people like that. Healthy and old. If they are ailing it is because they have health problems. Not because they are old. It is a myth that old age itself is like a disease. There are marathon runners in their eighties, and people who cycle across countries and continents in later life. Accepting that old age is like a disease is like abdicating responsibility for helping older people maintain health, and if they buy into that myth then they stop hoping for an active old age and settle for the very things that accelerate aging....They come in all shapes and sizes too, they are just fundamentally active, mentally and physically....
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (02-16-2011), Thelma (01-09-2013), VICTORIALOU (01-12-2013)