View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 06:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have heard strange things about changes this year: such as only guide dogs are allowed into federal buildings. I can't find any evidence of this. On March 15 2011, the ADA will be changed to only allow dogs and small horses to be considered service animals. Two years ago, I was denied entrance into a major post office in Colorado with my service dog. It started out with screamed "get that dog out of here", and went down hill from there because I resisted and stated the ADA laws. I got no help from anyone in any position in the Postal Service. So I went across the street to Congressman Salizar's office (who had previously helped me on V.A. issues). A few days later I got an extensive apology from the top Postal Service guy in Colorado. They also put-up a sign at the entrance which said: Service dogs welcome, pets not allowed. I had only a leash on my dog, which I trained myself. I had no real certification, registration, or special licensing. My dog then and my new dog is a medical alert dog warning me of Post-Concussive Syndrome onset (I also have P.T.S.D. and physical problems). I was a dog handler and trainer in the Army; I now use Adam Katz's wolf instinct methods: with astounding results. I was told by disability lawyers and Comet service dog trainers that A.D.A. laws apply to all places in the U.S., except in surgery rooms. I've had my dog staying in a VA hospital (3 days on the foot of my bed), getting a free seat on Amtrak for long trips, several hospital emergency rooms, etc. Yesterday I was denied entrance into an IRS building; that is, until a local TV station and police showed-up. Suddenly the security and IRS supervisors, who had been so loud and vicious to me before, came out smiling, asking me sweetly to come inside with my dog, and helped me get my forms in 5 minutes. I still reported them to the Feds & higher IRS officials. IN the past, I have found that the nasty lawbreakers of the ADA always lie about the events when confronted by superiors or police, so now I take a small tape recorder with me and turn in on when it looks like something is going to happen...it also helps me not to get so upset. Most places around here are very nice about service dogs; I wonder why it is often junior management at federal places who are so nasty.
Poudre is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote