View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 06:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Hi Gabby,

A one (disc) level fusion is not a big deal really, if your surgeon is competent. I'm not sure if you meant C7-T1 fusion which would involve two (disc) levels. Incidence of non-union goes up some when fusing two contiguous disc levels. I am also not sure what you mean by the C1 area as there is no disc between the occiput and C1 and between C1 and C2.

I had a C5-C6 PEEK cage and anterior plate fusion for disc hernia related to a car accident. I had a very highly skilled neurosurgeon, spine fellowship-trained so it was not that big of a deal. Pain was annoying, swallowing was a pain in the butt for a bit but more than anything, I was plain bored for that 1 month of sitting at home. Pain meds easily controlled any discomfort. Now the shoulder reconstruction and CRPS 2 months later was a different story!

With a claw hand, surgery is certainly necessary and chances are very good that any result will likely be better than where he is now.

Good luck!
Thank you Dubious,

Yes, you are correct it's the C7-T1 area. He will be having this procedure done at the Hospital For Special Surgery in NYC. He has had a Lumbar Fusion with them with great success. Actually his Lumbar was a revision because the first surgeon different hospital did a terrible job. Once I get the exact terminology of the procedure I will post and appreciate any input.

Will post once I know more.

Thanks again,

Gabbycakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote