Thread: blinking test
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 11:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default tests are in the eyes of the beholder...

When I already required intermittent respiratory support due to "recurrent acute respiratory failure" (according to my pulmonologist), the validity of this was questioned by a leading expert neurologist (to whom I was referred) , because it was based only on my pulmonologist's clinical impression and effort dependent tests.

Therefore I was referred to a respiratory neuro-musuclar expert to have more objective and reliable tests.

I had a sleep test, that showed of CO2 retention. This was then followed by direct measurement of diaphragmatic strength , which showed significant objective, not effort dependent weakness and fatigability (in a myasthenic pattern).

Based on this the world leading neurologist diagnosed myasthenia and admitted me for plasmapheresis (which led to dramatic, and very short lived improvement). He also did a test searching for possible antibodies that were not found in the usual assays, and this test detected low-affinity anti-MuSK

I was now told by a "genius" neurologist, that those test results could be seen in the normal healthy population.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rach73 (02-19-2011)