View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 07:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

That stinks about the snowplow. Ouch! Glad you didn't get hurt.

It is so hard to accept the limitations, I struggle with the same problem and frustrations. I don't think most people in our lives can understand the emotional (and physical) stuff that goes with the brain injury. I wouldn't have without experiencing it. I am different, I can feel it and bump up against it all the time, but it is hard to explain to others when I appear so normal.

I've found that most people (close to me, I wouldn't expect it of others) don't really want to make the effort it would take to understand, they are busy with their own issues and problems. I know they love and care about me and that has to be enough. I think we all tend to filter what we're being told through our own experiences, but it's really annoying when they trivialize what you're dealing with! I don't try to explain much anymore, just am honest about what I can and can't do, and retreat as necessary.

I drive very carefully but always worry about what could happen if I have to respond or think fast, I'm not so good at that either. I'm learning to function within the limits of my reality too, and it isn't fun when I bump against the edges. I like all your practical advice on that, Mark.

I appreciated your post and your positivity! I'm happy for you that you have such a great nurse to help you, what a blessing.

Best wishes getting things back together, you'll get there.

Take care,

Becca
BeccaP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote