View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have been a fitness instructor for approximately 20 years. Yoga instructor for 6 and TOS sufferer for 25 years. However, I suppose I am a bit different in that I have a large cervical rib, my tos has developed over time, but without yoga, I can't imagine where I would be right now, probably chopped-up before necessary.

I would recommend yoga to everyone; however, very few yoga instructors understand TOS let alone know what it is. I happen to have a degree in kinesiology, and with my symptoms, really know how and what is right. For example, in Eagle, you would want to crisscross your forearms in an x across your chest and place your palms on opposite shoulders. But, there are very few poses that area unavailable, in fact, with the right modifications, I can't think of any pose that is unavailable.

For everyday fitness, I practice power yoga, a little less intense would be a vinyasa style. For flare-ups, I will do bikram, aka hot yoga. Specifically, I love the Bikram shalambasana or locust pose. I do it a bit differently, at the point when they call to lift both legs, I left my legs and my chest (by millimeters) this is an awesome nerve glide when your body is at it's most flexible!

The most important thing to remember is you do not have to do exactly what the instructor tells you to do. Modifications and props are an integral part of yoga. There are not rules (although bikram can feel that way and you must have a strong constitution to ignore them a bit). You do not have to extend arms and twist arms or straighten your arms, its all optional. Bringing your hands together at heart level is very meditative and an honorable position. It's also important to keep space through the collarbone by rolling your shoulders down and away. But bend your elbows whenever you want/need. Tell the instructor beforehand, that there are arm positions which may not be available to you. Any instructor worth taking a class from, should have no problem with that, and should then offer alternative options during class. Also, holding your head in any sort of craned-neck position is not necessary. Soften your neck whenever necessary. In fact Forrest yoga bases a lot of her stuff on total neck release.

Hope that gives you some food for thought. **Contact via PM or email ** if you have more questions as I am not on this forum very often.

Last edited by Koala77; 02-19-2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: As per guidelines
Concoulor3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BKRich (02-19-2011), MarcS (11-22-2011)