View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 12:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello Wynternight-
104 minutes with a post-op stay of a little over one day. Is this accurate? How is the pain/recovery period, the scar (her worry) and most importantly, the symptom relief (better Osserman scores) and/or remission?

I have had the scar ridden thymectomy As have many people on this forum, im bored today and have not much to do as Im receiving IVIG so ill be happy to share what I can.

When I went in for my surgery it took about 2-3 hours, some are shorter, some are longer depending on the ability to get in, get out, stich up, etc. Something CAN go wrong, its a major surgery so make sure you relay that...but it is much safer these days- you can also do the robotic surgery.

My post op was a little longer than a day I was in the ICU for 2 days, then in step down ICU for 1 week because my right lung collapsed, for no apparent reason. Though many people these days with no complications are getting out of the hospital within 3 days (I think)

The pain- is nothing she/you need to worry about- they take care of you in that aspect, very well. They give you adequete medication for you to be comfortable. A morphine pump will be provided the day of/after surgery and until they think you dont need it, or you say your done. You cant go home with the morphine so they will give you Hydro/oxy-codone. This stuff works pretty well, too. She should have no problem with pain.

I had strained muscles in my shoulder from having my ribs pulled back a little too far and that hurt more than the actual sternam part.

The scar- eh, its a scar- its a battle wound. I know its probably different for girls who have the scar, but you should be proud of it, if you have it just because it shows yours ability to fight!

On the topic of remission...hm. After surgery, my MG got much worse, and I was hospitalized, yet hopefully your fiance (having already gone through these exacterbations and such) will not experience this. As with most things, you get worse before better. I have not been hospitalized in 6 months, and am on 50mg of prednisone and 250mg of Imuran, and monthly IVIG infusions.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask any questions you may still have.

-Tyson
tysondouglass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (02-19-2011)