View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 04:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
I read that autistics love puzzles and sometimes they see life as in numbers and puzzles and math.
I think one of the points I was trying to get across is that everyone is different. No two people with autism are the same. Even if what we all have in common is a very loose set of symptoms that make up the definition of "autism", each person has various different issues to varying degrees. In the simplest definition, autism is a impairment in social interaction. Along with that social impairment might be anything from a infinite list of various issues, of any degree. Some people you might never be able to tell have autism, while others might not ever be able to talk or fully take care of themselves.
Many people use "low functioning" or "high functioning" to describe people with autism, but even then, it really doesn't describe much, because all people with autism are different. I use "high functioning autism" to describe myself, but only to say that autism affects me to a less degree then many, but it probably affects me more then most with asperger syndrome. Even so, that doesn't tell anyone the things I have issues with, and the label of autism alone, doesn't tell you much of anything about a person.

I am HORRIBLE with math, so much so that this is a big issue for me. I have trouble with anything math and numbers, like money, shopping, managing my bank account, etc.
The idea that people with autism love math and puzzles, etc, those are all stereotypes. You will find just as many who are bad with math and puzzles as are good with them. Stereotypes dont work, so it might be helpful to get rid of any stereotypes you might have. We are not all rainman, and I wish I could say I am some sort of mathematical genius, but I am not

Quote:
Now I have no idea if this is going on in this young man's brain, but the fact that he plays video games (and hits the highest levels), and he can do this for 10 hours a day sometimes, what does this mean.
The only thing it means, is that he likes video games . Of course it can mean other things are going on, but we have no way of knowing what those things are, and since we are not trying to figure out why, we can only say that he enjoys playing video games.

Quote:
Do you have any idea what is going on in this young man's brain?
I don't have a clue, all I can do is relate to someone with similar experiences as me. The only people who might know what is going on in his head, are his parents or anyone really close to him.

Quote:
I'm just trying to learn here, not fix him, or intrude.
Obvious you could read about autism, but I think the best thing you could possible do, is drop any stereotypes you have about autism, and treat him with respect, be kind and caring, what your already doing

Last edited by roadracer; 02-19-2011 at 05:57 PM.
roadracer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (02-20-2011), MelodyL (02-19-2011)