View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 06:54 PM
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laga77 View Post
Although I do not want to I may have to stop working. I have severe DDD in L1-S1 with severe Foraminal Stenosis L4-L5, along with grade 1 Scoliosis and Retrolisthesis. This causes constant low back pain and intermittent but severe Sciatica. I have been through therapy and injections and medications with no relief. The NS says I need a fusion at L4-S1. I have been getting Synvisc injections in my knee but they too no longer work and I need a replacement. I am 55 years old with a Assoc. degree and I have been a concrete carpenter for the last 29 years and have worked steadily. I can no longer stand on my feet for more than an hour without sitting down and when I do sit I get pain going down both legs. My GP is the one who suggested filing for disability. Since I am still working and have not filed a claim with SS yet, the lawyers I have talked to are very non committal. Do I have a case? Any input would be appreciated.
The question that has to be answered is can you do substantial gainful activity? You say you can stand for an hour and then need to sit, then suffer continued pain. So even though you can't do work as a carpenter anymore, could you do something else like answer phones, or help around an office. If you feel the pain is just to much to bare then I would apply. One of the first things they are going to look at is if you have enough work credits. After that they will look into your medical history, do you have MRIs, what medications are you on, how often you see a doctor for pain, have you had any surgeries? Has the pain affected your daily activities, have you tried alternative medications. what therapies have your tried? Whether you have a case or not depends on if you fit all the elements required by SS disability.

Last edited by legalmania; 02-20-2011 at 01:07 AM.
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote