View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 10:48 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default AnnT - Another Familiar Voice!

AnnT - I definitly remember you too! I think your comment is perfect! All of us struggle at some point or another to be seen as our old selves, not as a person with PD. I had hoped to get my youngest son through high school before PD caused me major issues, but it just wasn't to be. But, although the staff and other parents at the high school saw me as "the woman with PD", it turned out to be a good thing as eveyone was terrific when we needed help.

Only those living in the same house with you really know how much PD is interfering in your life. Even my best friend from age 13 on, surprised me because I really thought she "got" the nature of the disease. But one night as I was getting ready to go to a concert at Red Rocks, I was "Off". My hair and make-up finally done, I tried repeatedly to tie my tennis shoes. Finally, she asked if I wanted her to tie them for me and I wryly responded "If you want to get to the concert sometime tonight, you'd probably better" So she tied my shoes and we left. A couple of hours later when I was "On", I bent over and tied my own shoe without any problem. I will always remember the look of shock on her face as she said to her husband "She couldn't do that earlier!" So even those nearest and dearest to us don't understand the flucuating nature of PD.

In the "Director's Notes" on my website, www.DBSdonna.com , my friend Danny wrote: "Anyone inside PD knows what a statement it is for Donna to write the title of the film, an impossibility for her prior to the DBS surgery. The film could end right there. Enough reason to support brain research: an 18 year case of PD – with perfect penmanship!" You obviously are one of the PD insiders who recognized how incredible it it that I could write so well after 18 years of PD progression. Before I had the DBS, I had to type things on the computer if I wanted to be sure I could read it later as my own handwriting was indecipherable, even to me

You wrote: I think it is more difficult to watch someone you love suffering than it is to do the suffering. I couldn't agree more! I have often told my husband that he has the far harder side of the PD card that we've been dealt to handle, far harder! And it is a "we" thing with us. Many marriages suffer due to the stress of dealing with PD, but I first had symptoms 8 years into our marriage and we celebrated our 25th anniversary in 2010! I am absolutely blesssed with my family.

Thank you so much for watching my video and for the nice comments too, Ann. Wishing you all the best! ~ Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnT2 View Post
Donna -
Some time ago I was at a celebratory dinner for my niece and was seated next to her husband. Although all family members know I have Parkinson's, it really is not a topic other than the occasional, "How are you feeling". Of course, I say, "Fine." This particular family gathering, the husband of one of my nieces sat next to me. After talking with him about sports, teaching, and the like, he leaned over to me, and in a conspiratorial voice said, "Tell the truth. Wasn't Michael J. Fox just putting on a show when he was on television, wiggling and gyrating? You don't do that." Not yet, I thought to myself as I assured him Michael was not acting. Not yet.

Your film is perfect. It shows how we all were once just another person in society, the persistent, deterioriating aspect of this determined disease, the hope for future medical advances in treating the symptoms, but the biggest ache is watching the effect on our immediate family members. It brings me to tears when I consider how PD has cheated them. I think it is more difficult to watch someone you love suffering than it is to do the suffering.

By the way, It is an encouraging sight to see you writing! Why I would focus on that, I do not know, but it is the supposedly insignificant things I can no longer do that disturb me the most.

Wonderful film.

Ann

Last edited by DJM1; 02-20-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Typos
DJM1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote