View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I think the answers will come with your testing that day and the following.

You could do 1/2 bagel...for that breakfast with eggs and some meat of your choice.

I am testing my blood sugars in preparation for the Glumetza to start. I am finding a huge "dawn phenomenon" effect. My highest sugars are then. Then I go down the rest of the day to 120-102.
This must be why my A1C is 6.2.

Today I am 10 pts higher at every reading than yesterday. And eating mostly the same things. And I get really hungry at 4pm-6pm, so I am doing nuts then, to take the edge off.

I had a small piece of steak and one serving of lentils, and some beets (this was a very filling meal)... and today I was at 150! (no night snack).

So I've been looking up dawn phenomenon, and they say to test sugar at 2am or so to see if it is elevated. It not, then it is dawn, if it is, then something else is going on. (we eat dinner around 6:30 to 7pm).

If my "dawn continues" I will take the Glumetza at night only to start. I am to do 500mg a day, to see how the side effects are.
I'll do that for a week and see how the fastings are. I won't test so many times a day since I see a definite rhythm with my daily tests.

As far as you are concerned, don't forget the lemon juice or grapefruit...it is THAT which opens the receptors for the treat meal.

Keep your portions reasonable, and you should be okay I predict. I am suspecting this "treat day" is more for weight loss than sugar control. I'd keep the breakfast as uncarb as possible. (you have some dawn carbs already when you wake up) But try a modest carb lunch, see what happens, instead.

Okay, what do you mean I have some dawn carbs already when I wake up? What does this mean?

And I know all about dawn phenomenon. Had that for years when I went to the Accord program and even after.They explained the liver dumping. I never really understood it until I did a lot of research. Only the past 6 months or so (and I don't know why), but the fenugreek is really doing a number on the dawn phenomenon. Try making the tea from the seeds. Let is steep for a while and drink a half cup before bed time (I cannot believe that I am giving YOU advice). lol

Oh, I wasn't actually going to test my sugar on the day of the binge, didn't want to accidentally blow my mind. But I've gotten really good numbers lately so I'll continue to test. It's a mind thing for some people. They don't want to see the high numbers so they don't test.

But I have been very lucky in my numbers so yes indeed, this is a weight loss thing so I have to see where this takes me.

Since a bagel is 55 grams of carbs and a roll is NOT 55 grams of carbs, I think I'll have a bacon and egg on a roll tomorrow morning. That should be a little bit of a binge. I can't order one half a bagel with an egg and bacon. I'd have to pay for a whole bagel. And since having a roll has never impacted my sugar, well I'll have the roll.

Lunch will be no carb but different and you know what my dinner will be.

Just tell me please why I have dawn carbs going on?

And do try the tea, hey it's working for everybody that I know.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote