View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 05:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default In the CT area

I am going for consults/second/third opinions right now. I am in a town adjacent to Danbury. I have both arterial and venous TOS resulting from major car accident more than a year ago. Probably also some nerve involvement too, tho EMG came out fine, so they tell me. Stay away from the local hospital head vascular surgeon, if you haven't already run into him. (if you have, my condolences.)

My local doctors (physiatrist, neurologist, gp) referred me to Yale, the cardiothoracic surgical department. Nice guy, but not so sure he was going to tackle the right/whole problem, and I do not want to go through this twice, much as I'd prefer to have as little as possible done.

Internet and attorney suggested New York Presbyterian/Columbia Hospital. Went there Friday, took about an hour and a half drive, it's upper east side right off the Henry Hudson parkway, not a bad drive considering we never go near cities. Dr. Ginsburg. Sounded knowledgeable, experienced, etc. Internet reviews of him, tho limited, are mixed, however.

In a few weeks going to a Dr. Donahue at Massachusetts General in Boston. It is really hard to find their info on their website, it is somewhere deep inside the surgical/thoracic/etc section. But it sounds great, they have a whole program, both neurogenic and vascular. And the doctor himself called me to get more info so they can set up whatever testing ahead of time so we can do it all at once when we drive up there (I can't drive, so hubby takes time off from work...). I have never had a doctor take such time and interest over me before, over anything. So am not telling the Columbia doctor yes or no until we get up there. Will not be easy dealing with a place so far away, but this is too important.

My neurologist, who is in Danbury (Dr. Wirz), just called me with some names in the Hartford area--Dr. James Gallagher, Dr. Mahiuddin Cheema, Dr. Mary Windels. Have not looked into any of them yet, just got the info.

Hope this gives you some places to look into.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DiMarie (02-21-2011)