Thread: Throbbing Head
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 06:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Throbbing Head

Hi Guys,

My good friend got a concussion playing hockey 7 months ago. He says he has no cognitive symptoms, no nausea, no dizziness, no headaches ect. The only thing he experiences is a "throbbing" on BOTH sides of his head. He only gets it when lying down with his ear pressed to the pillow.

I did not have this with my concussion so I was at a loss to explain what is going on. He said he would be completely normal aside from this, but he is unable to SLEEP with the constant throbbing he hears. He has tried Elavil, Imitrez (sp?), tramadol, Tylenol and Advil, which are migraine/headache meds...but he has no relief from any of them. I am wondering what this is? To me it sounds like maybe a nerve thing (occipital neuralgia??).

He was hit in the temporal lobe on the right side. I don't think it would be swelling of the arteries in the brain because it has been 7 months now. DO you guys thing this is maybe some arteries in his neck tangled with the nerves? OR do you think it is more dilation of arteries on the brain itself? He cannot distinguish if it is coming from the inside or outside of his head. All he hears is throbbing at night... Any ideas?
carmell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote