View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmom3005 View Post
First Thank you roadrunner for so much information.

It has also helped me. I advocate for yound people with autism. So learning anything I can helps.

Melody, I personally think you are doing what is best to learn more about
this young man. One thing I think that would be good for you to do to learn
more about him, and maybe others with autism would be to go visit the
day treatment center he goes too.

But mainly because many of the young people that go to these center's can
use friends that will work with them so they can do other things in society.

My son Derrick will be going into a day treatment center, along with working
at his job in the next couple of years.
And I know that if people in this world take the time to learn what makes
him and his friends tick they will enjoy them.

Donna

Hi. I shall try and learn as much as I can. No one who speaks english comes out in this type of weather. But in the spring, other family members visit, and people usually sit and chat and if I see a family member (only if the boy is there), and I strike up a conversation, I might say "I notice how well he is doing, it must be the day program he attends", and then if I get a positive response from that statement, maybe I can push a bit. If I get any type of silence or wall, it will be apparent that no one wants to go in that direction. You know what I mean.

It's very hard for family members to discuss a family member who might be challenged. I've been in their company MANY times and no one, absolutely no one, spoke about him. I tried to once, a long time ago, and no one bit, so just in case, don't think I didn't try. I ALWAYS try.

For example, there is a lovely young man named Robert who is now 25. I know him and his mom for almost 20 years. He has downs syndrome. Years ago, I used to dress up for Halloween and he would come trick or treating and I'd make him smile.

I run into him and his mom from time to time. I'll never forget when they came down my block once. I walked down my porch, put a big smile on my face, yelled "Robert, you look beautiful". He absolutely beamed, and he came over to me and gave me a big hug. That was the first time I had ever done that. So after that, whenever I see him out with his Mom, I make a point of making eye contact and talking to him. He'll smile (he has never spoken). He's a very calm pleasant soul who makes you want to give him hugs. (I'm always hugging him, calling him Big Guy), He seems to like this. He loves basketball games and various things on tv. His mom always chats me up and we discuss him and his day program.

We really are our brother's keeper. At least I try to be.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (02-21-2011)