View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Next time you go to the butcher ask about Flat Irons. These are typically ground up at many places... but cut from the top of the chuck, they are very tender, fairly low in sat. fat, and much cheaper than other cuts. UpNorth they still charge 2.99/lb (because they don't know better), Krogers charges 9.99lb. here.
A pound is 3 servings for us. 2 for that dinner, and one left over for my morning steak omelet. The meat is very very nice!
(Costco calls them "tri-tips" but I don't think they are exactly the same cut). UpNorth they have a resident butcher on duty who cuts the meat off a huge carcass. So prices tend to be lower.
We typically have them do the Flat Irons for us in advance(they freeze them for us)..because they can't guarantee a day to have them ..and we can't get over in the boat like you can in a car. I love these, and we don't buy any other cut anymore.

I would test right before the next meal. Testing right after eating tells you nothing. You want to see if your prandial insulin release works well and fast during the day. If you test after a meal do it TWO hrs after. Also the more fat in the meal, the slower the spike after. Avocados are good for this. Good fats, fiber and slowing down stomach emptying. This approach is good for type II's. Test readings that stay elevated the whole time until the next meal are problematic. You want to see the levels come down to normal before you eat again.

So far the only snack that does not elevate my glucose is nuts.
So I do some pistachios. I haven't tried cheese yet tho. I am running thru my strips pretty fast. They are not cheap. I get 300 for 3mon at $70.00 from my insurance.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote