View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Not all people are irrational when committing suicide, although I have to agree with the very dark place, no hope, etc. There was a well publicized, planned suicide here in Victoria some years ago. The woman had ALS and fought for the right to end her life. When she was unsuccessful, she, her family, a doctor and a well-known political figure worked out a plan which they put into effect. A movie was later made about her story.

This type of suicide happens more often than we know, but unlike Sue Rodriguez, their stories aren't made known.

I think suicide is a terrible thing to even contemplate, and it must be awful to be in such a state. Several people that I went to school with have committed suicide and their families were and still are, devastated. That's why it is so important to learn what to watch for among family and friends. Our local schools have put in place programs to help teens recognize when a peer might be in danger of suicide. Unfortuneately, not everyone displays "typical" signs.