View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 06:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenwings View Post
Hi Tayla--this catheter procedure you described sounds very interesting...When you have it in place, are YOU able to control the amount of the anesthetic? How big is the pump, and do you wear it around your waist on a belt or someting?

When you have it in place, how often do you have to see the Doctor (on average) to replenish the supply of anesthetic? Are you able to be fairly "mobile", or are you basically confined to your home? Have you had problems with the catheter becoming dislodged or anything? Are you able to drive?

Also, have you ever heard of this type of procedure being used for people who have RSD in their legs?

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain in a little more detail!!

Brokenwings

Hi there, Unfortunately this treatment does involve hospitalisation as there is a constant need for observation .You can be mobile though, just pushing the IV Pole with you
A normal IV is inserted sometimes to deliver antibiotics as a prophylactic to prevent infection of the site as the armpit is quite a "dirty" area.
The catheter that runs into your armpit is attached to a syringe driver pump, this holds about 50-60 mls so if you are having 8 mls /hour you will need the syringe changed every 6-7 hours. The syringe holds a combination of a local anaesthetic such as marcaine and normal saline.
The rate that the syringe delivers the anaesthetic is dependent on the doctor's orders and whether you like your arm being totally paralysed or just numb but able to move it. I prefer it to be numb but still with some movement and whilst you do sacrifice some pain relief by doing this I feel it is more comfortable. A very individual choice
Good luck with whatever you choose.
tayla4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote