View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Frown

[QUOTE=BeccaP;745797]It is so hard to accept the limitations, I struggle with the same problem and frustrations. I don't think most people in our lives can understand the emotional (and physical) stuff that goes with the brain injury. I wouldn't have without experiencing it. I am different, I can feel it and bump up against it all the time, but it is hard to explain to others when I appear so normal.

I've found that most people (close to me, I wouldn't expect it of others) don't really want to make the effort it would take to understand, they are busy with their own issues and problems. I know they love and care about me and that has to be enough. I think we all tend to filter what we're being told through our own experiences, but it's really annoying when they trivialize what you're dealing with! I don't try to explain much anymore, just am honest about what I can and can't do, and retreat as necessary.

BeccaP,

Unfortunately, most people I deal with regularly don't understand when (or why) I need down levels. I become SO overwhelmed, I cannot think at all.

I do try hard to avoid getting into situations like these, and exercise regularly to work through stress. Even still, my limits are lower than most others.

My boyfriend, family, and doctors seem to think that I ought to bounce right back once the stress is gone. It isn't that easy for me. It takes some time for me to adjust and accept.

Thankfully, there are other people in this world that understand how tumultuous the world feels to me in those times. I just hate it though!

Thanks for posting, BeccaP!
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote