View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post

There is a condition called sub-concussive impact. It is a jarring of the brain that may or may not include any actual impact to the brain. I can give myself a concussion by shaking my head. Some brains are much more sensitive to movement that others. Prior concussions can create this extreme sensitivity to quick motion.

There are also neck injuries and strains that can cause concussion symptoms. There are neck muscles that connect to the skull above and behind the ears. These are frequently injured in whiplash like events. This may be your problem. The associated spasms can effect blood flow and other situations. Neck inflammation can effect vertebral blood flow.
Hi Mark - thank you for the response and all the info you provide on this board.

Most of my xc ski falls were backwards so I'm sure there was a whiplash component there. But my neck muscles don't feel tight or "spasmy" so I think the impact of hitting the ground and the resultant jarring of my brain might be the culprit.

You mentioned the consequences of shaking your head "no". I had a similar experience after skiing. Girlfriend ask me a question and I turned my head quickly to respond. Immediately felt the same pain in my temple that I felt each time I hit the deck skiing. That's nuts!
nb19 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote