View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 01:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE03 View Post
Mrs. D, thank you for posting that link. If he wants to do a biopsy, I'll definately say no. I get fasting insulin tests every three months and my PCP has been doing an A1C to ever since my glucose started to rise from all the MBB's that were being done, back to back for predictive neurolysis results, and that is well out of the range in the low 5's. So if he does decide to do the GTT, at least its one test that hasn't been done so far. I'm still pushing for genetic blood testing as I feel this is going to be a hereditary form, based on my fathers complaints. I wish I knew what it takes to be able to get these done and what sort of hoops the insurance company makes the docs go through to justify that. If anyone has any insight, I'm all ears/eyes.
I just want to reiterate what MrsD said about the nerve biopsy. I had one almost 15 years ago. I had awful phantom pain for many months which can be disabling itself. The pain did finally subside but of course there is permanent sensory loss from the calf and entire side of foot.

Like she also said, the results did not add much to the picture...not enough to warrant the test. They can tell as much with skin biopsy to diagnose small fiber neuropathy and it has no lasting side-effects.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote